Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Transition from a crib to a toddler bed

Some experts say that there is no reason to rush your child to move to a toddler bed and the use of the crib can be extended by lowering the mattress as low as it can go. Parents should think in the transitioning if the child climbs out of the bed or if the child is 35" tall. Most children make the switch between ages 1 1/2 and 3 1/2. But it's best to wait until the child is closer to his or her 3rd. birthday. But when you have a child with gross motor delays, as a parent, you really don't know when it is the right moment for the transitioning.

In my son's case, he got out of the crib when he was 18 month. My father in law lower the mattress to the lower level. Here was the first sign that my son may be read for a bed, but he wasn't physically ready because he was just starting to get mobile. Maybe his curious mind was ready to get out of the crib, but not his body to climb in and out of the bed. So it was not reason to rush it. Howsoever, I knew one day he would be ready. So I set it as a goal for when he was walking. Our PT,a few weeks ago, suggested to transit Tommy to a bed because he was physically ready for this new transition. The more he climbs the stronger his shoulders get, so this transition also is part of his physical therapy.

As a way to celebrate he is turning 2 1/2, we converted our son's crib to a toddler bed on Sunday 12th. He got too excited with the new change that he started to stand up and play on the bed, so I explained to him beds are for sleeping and one can sit or lay down on the bed, but beds are not for playing. I decided to slowly make the transitioning as follow:

FIRST WEEK:
  • The first night, I was worried about him standing up on the bed while I was sleeping and he could hurt himself, so I make him to sleep in my arms and the next day my husband checked on him to get him out of the bed right away.
  • The second night, I stay with him until he was very sleepy and I put him on the bed so he was tired enough to fall sleep in a short period of time. The next day I went to check on him before him got out his bed.
  • The third night, I stay with him until I read his book, turn the light off, said our prayers, and bound for a little while as usual and I put him to bed. The next day I went to check on him before him got out his bed and encouraged him to get out of his bed.
  • The fourth night, we did our regular routine before going to be, but this time I gave the opportunity to get on the crib by himself. He was laughing and stood up as soon he got on the crib. I gave him verbal cue"Remember the bed is for sleeping. You have to lay down" and I help him to lay down. So I praise him by telling him "Good Job laying down on the bed. You are a big boy now." He giggled and staid in the bed. The next day Daddy checked on him.
  • The fifth night was the same routine than the night before. But this time he wasn't tired, but he staid on the bed and felt asleep. We checked on in the morning and encouraged him to get out of the bed by himself.
  • The sixth and seventh nights, we did the same as the fifth night. The next day he got out of the bed by himself with supervision.

NAP TIME
Nap time has became a challenge because he silently gets out of the bed. While we are thinking, he is on the bed; he is looking at his books. He stays in the bed after we close the door. So I decided to establish a routine before putting him in the bed. I am very confident that the routine will help him to stay and take a nap because he is used to routines since he was a newborn. We are going to make sure he is physically active in the mornings to make him tired before nap time, so he will fall asleep right away. We also installed a shade to make his room darker. Hopefully, he will be taking his afternoon naps by next week. Any advise or suggestion to make him to stay in the bed during nap time is more than welcome!

SAFETY TIPS
Before the transitioning, make sure all the power outlets have covers, all furniture are attached to the wall and put locks on the closet doors and furniture drawers. Otherwise, a little tornado will twist the room. We already experienced it with "Tommy tornado."

To celebrate Tommy's transitioning, I will re-decorate his room. I will do something simple, but more appealing for a big bog.

Dulce sueños, mi lindo ángelito!

No comments: