Sunday, October 31, 2010

Celebrating our son!


Exactly three years ago, my husband and I received the results from the FISH test, confirming that our unborn baby was prenatally diagnosed with Trisomy 21. I was upset with our health-care providers at the hospital because they told us they would give us the result by Monday and it was Wednesday and they were avoiding us because our OB GYN wanted to talk to us. This was the confirmation for me! My husband decided to call to the hospital again and they gave him the results after he insisted. I remember sitting on my desk around 10:30 am at my work when I got the call from my husband to tell me the results were positive for Trisomy 21. I was scared that my son could be hurt, but I never scared of how to take care of him. I couldn't stay working so one of my coworker took me to eat lunch after that I went home. As soon as I got home, I went online and I found about our Down Syndrome local Association. On October 31, 2007 at 1:30pm, I was officially a member of the local Down syndrome Association.

I read so much about Down syndrome before my son was born. I remember reading a list of the possible health issues a child with Trisomy 21 could face, but I also remembered reading the words "Your child may have..." This open the window for me to realize that every child with this diagnosis is differently affected and they necessarily do not get all the health issues in the list. We have learned that every diagnosed child with Trisomy 21 is different and unique as we all are.

There was a Halloween party at my worked that day and I missed it. It would be first time I would dress up because we don't celebrate Halloween in my country. The diagnosis changed everything that day! But this year, we dressed up for Halloween to celebrate the blessing of having our son with Trisomy 21. The entire family is very proud of him! We all are amazed of everything Tommy can do and has accomplished regardless his diagnosis. I keep praying that he can grow up happy and healthy as he has been during this 2 and half years. Those have been the most intensive years of our lives, but any challenge is not a predicament and any sacrifice is enough.

We have fun this year dressing up.
Look at the pictures, they talk by itself.

We are celebrating our son.
Happy Halloween!


1 comment:

evrfwd said...

haha! love the halloween photos! Sorry I haven't been around much. I'm working on another project but deadline is soon...and then I will catch up on all my friend's blogs. Glad to see that everything is going so well. big hugs to all!