Sunday, June 20, 2010

The best father I have met

I couldn't chose a better person to share my life and be the father of my son. He is one of the amazing dads a have met. He has loved Tommy since he knew I was pregnant. That love got even stronger when we knew about our unborn baby had a genetic disorder. During our pregnancy, the three of us were always together because we were already a family, even when Tommy was still in the womb. The concept "the Fetus are not babies" doesn't work in our family. Tommy as an unborn baby, his daddy and I were together in most of the weekly appointments at our OB office and all the trips to the hospital. When we had the amniocentesis, I remember my husband beside me holding my hand and looking at the monitor watching his unborn baby. He was there supporting us! Even although, we had a stressful time during our pregnancy, daddy had good moments when Tommy used to kick like a little wild bull. Daddy always said: "It is his way to tell us he is alright."

I remember when Tommy was born and he had to stay in the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU). My husband was so anxious to bring his son home, but we had to wait for Tommy to heal on his own. One day, we were talking to one of the nurses who was taking care of Tommy and she said to my husband: 'There are a lot of dads, but a few fathers and you are one of them." He is always beside his son not matter what.

Tommy is daddy's boy since I remember. When Tommy was a new born, as soon as, he heard daddy's voice he was looking around for daddy and smiling at him. He knew that daddy was around. I think this connection began since Tommy was in the womb because my husband used to talk to Tommy as an unborn baby. He always told Tommy how much he loved him and Tommy used to kick when he felt daddy's presence.

There are many things daddy has done for Tommy just like me. He has changed dirty diapers, took his temperature, took Tommy to his medical appointments by himself, washed Tommy's cloth, gotten involved in Tommy's therapies, cried with me when Tommy had his first fever and so on. Tommy participated in his first fashion show last year. Before the event started, Tommy and I had to get ready to walk on the main stage. I was changing my cloth while daddy was changing Tommy's. When I met my husband to take Tommy, I realized my husband was the only dad involved back stage. He works hard to provide everything that Tommy needs and more. He is an amazing dad!

He accepted his son for who he is and not for what he has. When my husband and Tommy go out by themselves, it is a moment I truly enjoy because their faces light up; my husband walks holding his son very proud expecting that an stranger will say that his son is cute and Tommy is very happy that is spending time with his hero, his daddy.

I didn't have the opportunity to have a close relationship with my dad. So, it makes me extremely happy that my son and his dad are so close; even although, Tommy ignores me when daddy is around. I just enjoy the connection between them because it is unique. I know when Tommy gets older, he will have a lot of questions or doubts about men's stuffs and I won't be able to answered them. So, who better to answer those questions than his daddy.

I pray for the unborn babies diagnosed with a genetic disorder that they can also have a daddy who love and protect them for what they are and not judge them for what they have. I am blessed to be married with a wonderful man and amazing father.

Happy Father's Day!

1 comment:

evrfwd said...

super baby, super daddy! and always a super mommy! so glad tommy has such a wonderful family.