Tuesday, June 1, 2010

I do it my-self!

Learning to take care of herself or himself is an important part of a child's personal and social development. Our son it is very observant, which I think it is what helps him with self-care skills. Tommy keeps learning and exploring by himself because he is in the stage "I do it my-self," which is age appropriate. The best way to help my son is to closely watch his development, which allows me to identify when he is ready for a new chore.

At this age, everything that toddlers do it is triumph for them and it is also the age where their personalities are forming; therefore, the feeling of accomplishment is important for any toddler with or without the syndrome. This helps to develop confidence in themselves. Expanding Tommy's chores helps to realize the frustration of the skills he is taking longer to master because of the hypotonia and it keeps boosting his brain by introducing novelty in his daily routine.

Tommy's hints for introducing new chores during bath time
One day, I saw him with his towel rubbing on side of his head. The light bulb turns on! He was trying to dry his hair. To confirm it, I took the towel and I gave it back to him saying: Take it and dry your hair. Surprisedly, he did. I allow him to help with drying his hair since then. Now, his rub both sides of his head and put the towel over his head. After he is done he has a big smile of accomplishment.

Tommy drying his hair for the first time.

During bath time on June 1st, he took a soup bottle that was open. He started to pour the soup on his head and body. The light bulb turns on! he was trying to wash his body and head. Since then, I allowed him to squeeze the soup bottle on a washcloth. To give him a better idea of taking a bath, Tommy and I play giving a bath to the baby boy doll.

The moment Tommy tried to take a bath
on his own was captured in video.
(I am glad I had the video camera upstairs).



Tommy washing his hair by himself
for the first time on June 4th, 2010
He turned the shower on and enjoyed the water falling on his head.
Unfortunately, I stopped filming because he was standing
on his own and I was afraid he could lose his balance.
Sorry that the video is in the wrong way.

As a mother, I want the best for my son. As parents, we want our son becomes an skilled independent person regardless the syndrome. Strengthening his self-care skills is to support him in his way toward independence.

No comments: