Friday, September 9, 2011

Dealing with asthma

Tommy had a check-up appointment with the pulmonary doctor yesterday. The doctor was very please because Tommy had just two asthma episodes during the summer and they were not long episodes. He checked Tommy's overall health and he said: Tommy is healthy!

The doctor thought in the possibility of taking Tommy out of the preventive asthma medicine, but as a precaution, the doctor decided just to decreased the asthma medicine; so Tommy's asthma doesn't get worse during the flu season.

With the arrival of the winter season, Tommy's asthma can get worse because he has viral asthma, this means, Tommy's asthma is caused by virus. It is good and Bad! It is good because his asthma will go away as he gets older because his immune system will get stronger. It is bad because there is not medicines to treat virus and he is more sensitive to virus, which means he will get sicker than other child that catches the same virus. So this let him on his own fighting against any virus he can catch.

I am very grateful for blogging because I have found great blogger friends, who also have a love one with Trisomy 21. I am very thankful with Andi Durkin the writer of Down Syndrome: A Day to Day Guide because she contacted other bloggers and moms to gather great information to boost Tommy's immune system. Thanks Andi!

This visit to the pulmonary doctor has made me feel so good because we were so used to having a healthy child who always impressed his doctors for how healthy he was –No major health complications due to the syndrome; no common colds, except a few times during cold and flu season and a good growth pace. But I know things can change due to the syndrome, so I keep praying for my boy being healthy. If he is healthy, my husband and I are strong to fight against any consequence of the syndrome.

The whole family will be working on being healthy this winter.

1 comment:

Smilen Champ said...

Hi
My name is Jenna and I came across your site. Tommy is an amazing, handsome, lil boy and he has a cute smile. He is a fighter and an inspirational hero. I was born with a rare life threatening bone disease, and developmental delays. I love it when people sign my guestbook. www.miraclechamp.webs.com