Wednesday, March 21, 2012

Celebrating the World Down Syndrome Day!

Today is the World Down Syndrome day. I am still optimistic about my son's future regardlees all the developmental challanges Tommy has had to face in the last year. He is getting cutter every day (words from a proud mom). Day by day, he is beating Sensory Processing Disorder. So we are very proud of him!

I began a infomal journal (iphone notes) where I write any progress I notice, any new word, any decreased sensory behavior, any little experience he has been confident to do on his own. We are very blessed with having Tommy in our lives, he teaches us what really matters in life and help us to keep our feet on earth. He shows us that everything can be possible no matter how long it could take. He gives me hope when I feel I cannot go on anymore.

My mom's dream is that Tommy learns to play the piano, so she has given cute wooden pianos with real piano keys since he was a baby. Tommy has a natural love for music that goes beyond of what is expected for a child of his age. Since Tommy was about 18 months old he could know what song was being played by just hearing the instrumental music. Recently, we discovered he can also play the tunes of a song he sings with his drum set. My husband discovered a few weeks ago. So we will support him in his love for music and we will see what happen. I am glad his speech therapist has also realized Tommy's natural ability for music. When she met Tommy last year, she realized Tommy could know what song was play by just hearing the instrumental music, so she incorporated a few minutes of piano play in her therapist sessions with him.

Tommy is officially learning to play the piano. His first piano lesson was this past Monday. Tommy's piano teacher was impressed of Tommy's natural ability for music, too. He got "stars" in every area he practiced during his first lesson. His teacher was very excited and so did I! Watching him in front of the piano and following the teachers rhythm by making music with their hands, gave me a good feeling. This is the perfect fit for him! So this is a great way to celebrate the World Down syndrome Day. Our kids are all about abilities, we just have to give them the opportunity to try.

Happy World Down Syndrome Day!

1 comment:

Leticia said...

Happy World Down Syndrome Day, Rose and Tommy! Enjoy your journey together as Tommy wows you with his perseverance, and unconditional love.