Friday, May 23, 2014

Second Appoitment with Dr. Sultan

Tommy had his second appointment with Dr. Sultan yesterday. We went over the test results and as I was expecting it, many things are wrong. Irinicly, I don't feel sad about it. I am happy because I knew Tommy has some issues and I knew what the issues were, but I didn't have a doctor who would listen or with the expertise in this matter.

Test Results
The lab shows that Tommy has extremely big cells for his age. This an indication that there is a problem in Tommy's methalytion cycle, which affects his MITOCHONDRIA. So my search for a doctor has ended. I knew Tommy has issues with the mitochondria and I brought it up to his peidatrician. The pediatritian told me he doesn't have it because Tommy is not a child that gets sick quiet often. Which surprised me that the pediatrician didn't know the difference between Mitochondrial disease and Mitrochrondial dysfuntion. I was talking about Mitochondria dysfuntion, but the pediatrician kept focused on Mitochondrial disease. But she encouraged me to follow my institns and get a speciallist's openion in this matter. So the next steps is Vitamin B12 shots twice a week, so I am trying to pick what days would be better. I secretly gave oral vitamin B12 to Tommy since December to April and the difference was very noticible. So I just want to start these shots to see what surprises will come with it.

Tommy has low iron levels. He was surprised that it wasn't lower. So I explained to him that we are supplementing with Iron because I requested labs at Children's hospital when Tommy began to regress. So he said this is the reasson his level wasn't even lower. So he changed Tommy's iron for one that it is given to toddlers and the best of all, it is cheaper than the one I was giving him. 

Tommy has candida, a nasty fungus. So he will be taken a medicine for at least 6 months and then Dr. Sultan will see if he needs to take it for a longer period of time. He said that kids with Autism has a lot of issues with candida and takes a lot of time to get this fungus on balance.

I will have to get data for 5 days about Tommy's themperture because Dr. Sultan will do more testing about Tommy's thyroid funtion. We already know Tommy's have hypothyroidism, but Dr. Sultan thinks that something is not working fine in Tommy's thyroid even when he is taking his medication, which I think he is right because Tommy also has high cholestherol even when he doesn't eat bad fat and I am very extrict with his diet. So there is connection between thyroid dysfuntion and high choletherol. It can be genetic coming form my side. This is an issue my mom, my dad, my sister and I have. I just recently discover that Tommy's hands were cold and it was a hot day. This called my attention becuase I was like that when I was a child and I had wierd fevers. These are symptoms of something is going wrong with the thyroid. So I will be checking my thyroid, too. Dr. Sultan said that regardless that it is genetic, it should be treated now before it becomes in a real problem. I LOVE THIS DOCTOR! I wanted to hug him yesterday.

Changes on Diet & Supplementation
I knew this will come. I even posted about my hard feeling that this doctor would do drastic changes in Tommy's diet. Tommy's diet is going to be even more restricted, so from now on, absolubley every food and every drink will have to be provided for us whereever he goes, which I am use to it, but the drinks it was something we always could get in public places, but not anymore.
  • No chocolate
  • No yeast (No vinager or salad dressings)
  • No sugar at all. Except for some stevia. 
  • No oats
  • Everything organic 
  • Water. 22 oz. per day is the ideal for my son
Why, No all these foods?
Chocolate because it raises the same brain chemicals (neurotransmitters) that some drugs do. We don't want this because Tommy is already having neurotransmitter issues. I recently discoverd that some food such as, bananas and berries increase dopamine, which is not good for the brain when it has high levels of dopamine. We removed bananas and strawberries, I have noticed an improvement in his behaviors. So I am expecting more food to be removed when we get to part of the neurotransmitter treatment that we will target his brain inflamation.

No Sugar and no Yeast because they feed the yeast in Tommy's stomach. Candida causes many of the Autism symptoms and it is really hard to get it back on balance.  

No oats becaue many oats  are processed in facilities that process wheat, so they get contaminated. There are many kids with Autism who has showed sensitivity to oats when they have gluten intolerance regardless that the oats are gluten-free. So the best way, it is to avoid it.

Everything organic because Dr. Sultan suspects Tommy has high levels of haevy metals. This won't add more contaminants in his system. We do mostly orgnic with him, but not everything. So we will know more about the heavy meatls in Tommy's body in the future when get to this stage of the treatment. 

A lot of water which is important for natural detoxification. We are doing it already, so I am offering water to Tommy quiet often, rather than give him a lot of water at once.

Dr. Sultan also changed my son's vitamins to one that it is specific for kids with Autism. I showed to him the jar of the vitamin powder we use, which is specifically for kids with Down syndrome. He checked the ingridients and said that some ingrediets are missing and the dossage was too low for what my son's need because kids with Autims need higher amounts of vitamins. The best of all this new vitamin cost half of the price of what I pay for the vitamins for kids with Down syndrome. But the most important fact is that the Autism vitamin is hypoallergenic. What many people don't know is that food intolerance is "a type of allergy" that kills slowly.


God is listening to my prayers! I have never asked him for a miracle, I just ask for wisdom and the right people who will help me to unlock my son’s true potential. Thanks God that I found this doctor.  

2 comments:

Sandy Stahl said...

Rosa,
I am so happy you are getting the answers you have been searching for!!! Sounds like you really found a great doctor. I have an appointment set for Nathan, early next month,with the doctor you found for me. Hopefully, we'll get the same kind of help!
Sandy

Kimberly said...

Wonderful. I'm so glad you found this doctor.