Monday, May 19, 2014

Tommy's isolation and withdraw from this world (Part 3)

After being in charge for 5 months of my son's intervention things are getting better. I feel bad sometimes that I couldn't put my intervention together earlier, but I guess things happen when they have to happen and not when we want to.

We went to Tommy's school on May 15 becuase of his Kindergarten graduation. Everytime I go there, it is noticible the friendly atmosphere in the entire school. When we were walking to the event room, we saw two kids in the hallway. When the girl passed by, she said  "Hi" to us with a big welcoming smile like she knew us from before; then, a 10 year old boy greeted us and began to talk to Francis and asked how old Francis was, and then, he said he has 4 year old bother and he is very proud of his little brother. This a very welcoming school community from the little ones to the grown ups. I am glad that they deeply focus in the STOP BULLING program where everybody participates: staff, students from Kindergarten to Senior High school and even parents. I had to take a test about stop bulling when I volunteer for the school. The school truly care for the students's growth in all aspects, which is probably the main reason why they keep being among the top three best school district in our state.

During the informal Kindergarten Graduation, I could see how much Tommy has progressed, and it seems that school is making more sense for him. His sensory issues are improving! But still there is a lot to do in the tactile and auditory area. He was able to be in the crowd, so he didn't have a panic attack. This doesn't mean that it didn't bather him, but he could handle it better, which made me feel good. How did I know he was bather even when he didn't panic? Because of his body language (repetitive behaviors). He celebrated with his classmates at the playground by being one more of the 27 kindergartners who where actively playing. He was jumping, running and climbing as the other kids. Last year, being at the playground with other kids it was a torture for him. It was interesting to see a girl coming towards Tommy and asked him for a hug, and she said to me: He likes me sometimes! And gave Tommy a tight hug and Tommy hugged her, too.

Watch the video below. You can see Tommy running; then, watch the kids that are on the ground. They quickly comforted their classmate who felt. None of the grown ups realized, including me, as quick as the kids did that the girl felt and they looked for help. Tommy's teacher told me that her students are always watching for Tommy and this have make a positive impact in all of them to be more caring for others and I could see it that day.


I could see during Tommy's graduation that my hard work to get him out of isolation is giving results. I have taken a diffrent route of what most parents due as far as intervensions, but I have done it based on sciencist research and educating my self on technicques from different approaches that suit Tommy's unique needs. AUTISM IS TREATABLE! One of my main sources for self education is Autism Reaserch Institute because they have decades working on understanding and treating Autism. I am realistic that Tommy may not completely overcome Autism due to his genetic disorder, but the possibility is there. Probably he will be one of the firsts children with Down syndrome medically diagnosed with Autism who will overcome Autism with data to proof it. Remember, I have a superboy! He already overcame his 'Asthma' diagnosis in 9 months, so nothing is written on stone.






My little caterpillar will become in a beautiful butterfly that will fly up, up, and away one day.
Faith, Courage and Hope is all what it takes 
to conquer the impossibles.  

THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!



1 comment:

Cortney Primm (Held) said...

I can't believe how much he has grown! Physically and in maturity. Always love to come on here and see how well Tommy is doing. Always sending positive thoughts and prayers