Friday, January 7, 2011

Transition from the Early Intervention to the Special Education

Picture of Tommy that will be in the
cover of his file at the school District office

I was very nervous by just thinking my son won't receive more therapies at home. I was worried about me not being prepare for all the transition meetings because I didn't attend to workshops about IEPs, which are offer for free in our State, but I didn't have the time. I have searched online information related to IEPs and I think I have a good overview how to go through this new step in my son's life. So far, the transition has been smoothly and relax.

The Special Education Process:

1. Child Find:
We were referred for the Early Intervention (EI) program to the School District. So the school district new about our son and we didn't have to contact them to request services. Back in september, our last 6 months review meeting with EI program and the transition meeting to the School District was scheduled at the same time. Most of my son's therapists, our service coordinator and a school district representative got together at my house with my husband and I. Having both meetings together allowed to the School District Representative knew a little bit how Tommy is and how his therapists have been working with him. I presented Tommy's developmental summery to our service coordinator and the school district representative. This summery is divided in 6 developmental areas as follow:
  • Cognitive & Playing Skills (Personal Curiosity and Autonomy, Solving problems, Sensory development, Memory and Pre-academic skills, Creativity, Interacting with toys and List of toys)
  • Communication kills
  • Fine Motor Skills
  • Gross Motor Skills
  • Self-care Skills
  • Social Skills
The summery has all milestones and abilities Tommy has accomplished in certain period of time, as well as, progress notes, activities to strength and improve his weakness and concern notes. It takes me a while to prepare Tommy's developmental summery, but I enjoy it because it makes me realize how much he is doing and find the areas he is struggling.

2. Request for Initial Evaluation:
The school representative contacted us back in December to schedule an appointment to go through all the data and create an assessment plan for Tommy that will help to establish the eligibility of services. The meetings was on January 6th at 8:00 am. The school representative, the school principal, a speech therapist, a special education teacher, my husband and I were present at the meeting. We didn't invite our therapists or service coordinator because we thought it wasn't necessary. The meeting took about an hour or so and we discussed the specific areas of Vision, Hearing, Health, Motor (Fine and gross motor), Sensory, Speech/language, Cognitive, Adaptive, Social/emotional/behavioral and Pre-academics. The Pre-academic area wasn't take as part of the assessment plan because my son is not at the school yet, but a note was written in the assessment plan that he doesn't have problems learning pre-academic skills so far and he is learning the numbers. At the end of the meeting, we all agreed Tommy will be evaluated in three areas:
  • Motor (Fine and Gross motor)
  • Speech/language
  • Cognitive
3. Evaluation:
Tommy's first evaluation will be in the area of motor (PT and OT). It has been scheduled for the end January and we have to schedule the other two evaluations.

The next steps to develop my son's first IEP are:
4. Eligibility Determination
5. Eligible
6. IEP Meeting Scheduled
7. IEP Meeting

There is a possibility my son won't qualify for some services through the School District. If this would be the case, we could get those services through our Regional Center. Our service coordinator already enrolled us at the Regional Center and we will get call from them closer to Tommy's birthday. I am glad we are already enrolled because the enrollment process at the Regional Center is taking about a year.

Wish us good luck!

No comments: