Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Your prayers are working


It has been a hard time watching how Tommy's health got deteriorated. We miss to see him spinning to get dizzy, then running to the cough before falling on the ground. But he will be soon at home running, making us laugh and making the house messy.

Even although, the last 7 days have been stressful it has made us realized how many people's lives Tommy touches without us knowing it. Tommy is in the prayer list of several churches. Our families, friends, neighbors, coworkers, Tommy's teachers and even strangers care about him and are praying for him.

It is amazing how the hospital staff care about him, he is not one more patient. One nurses stopped me in the hall asking for him. Other nurse who was taking care of him on Saturday night told me people in the floor Tommy was before going to the ICU were asking how he was doing. I went to eat at cafeteria in the hospital on Sunday evening. I was ready to pay my food when someone said: I got her, I will pay for her food. When I look at her, I didn't know her and I asked her: Did I meet you somewhere? She answered: Yes! I admitted you guys to the hospital and she asked: How is TOMMY doing? She remembered his name, it was very impressive to me that I couldn't tell her not to pay for my food. She had good intentions and it would be rude from me not to accept it. I know now, why the hospital is in the top ten best nationwide hospitals in pediatric care, it is because of its staff's passion, dedication and love for what they do, saving lives.

Tommy's condition has improved since Tuesday because of all your prayers and the amazing care he is receiving at the hospital. He is out of the ICU! He was transferred yesterday afternoon to other floor in a regular room. We feel a relief he is not at the ICU anymore. He was more playful and flirting with the nurses yesterday. He was able to breath on his own yesterday; so the doctors lower the oxygen, and then, switching him to the ventilator. But they had to switching back to the oxygen because he couldn't keep up due to the hypotohnia, so it will take longer for him for a full recovery. The doctors have a second plan to help him to clear his lungs up. They will start him in breathing treatment and will give him pressuere in his back, so all the chunck of moucus on the bottoms of his lungs can be cleared off. He is tired because he couldn't sleep very well last night. He has been smiling, happy, playfull and more comfortable than before. He has drunk more fluids and I will try to feed him with solid food later. He will be realized from the hospital as soon as he regularly drinks and eats and is completely out of the oxygen.

Your prayers and good thoughts for him are helping him, please keep praying for his health.

I will write about RSV, so any person who read my blog can be aware of RSV. Specailly, parents who have a child with Trisomy 21. Unfortunatly, RSV affects our kids in a more severe way than to typical children.

2 comments:

RK said...

Rosa, I just got your email... so sorry to hear about this! Please let me know if there's anything we can do. And I do mean that!

Anna said...

i had two little ones in the hospital with RSV 18 years ago. I missed the whole month of October that year... It can be very serious for some children. I am so glad your cutie pie is on the mend.