Wednesday, August 8, 2012

Mommy's Lab

Working full time takes a lot of time of my day that I cannot work with Tommy. On top of this, I have to go to periodically visits to the Chiropractor to check Tommy's neck, private paid therapies, sport classes and outdoor activities. So I have to be organized at home to be able to work with Tommy in the short time I have in the evenings.

People always say to me, "I don't know how you do it." Unfortunately, I am not a superwoman with super powers to transform everything.  But I have created something I call 'Mommy's Lab' where all my inspiration, passion and love for helping Tommy comes alive. But it has been just recently that I could put 'Mommy's Lab' up and running. It is established in our leaving room with sub areas designated in the garage, the kids' rooms and the master bedroom. Before, It was disorganized with many things everywhere; but now, it's organized and functional with everything I need handy.

Mommy's Lab essentials:
  • Craft materials
  • Art supplies
  • Therapeutic tools
  • Books for kids about many topics (Bilingual, English and Spanish)
  • Child Development Books
  • Technology devices
  • Old blankets
  • Fun toys for developing fine/gross motor
  • Toys for pretend play
  • Musical Instruments
  • Balls all sizes and shapes
  • Pre-made activities
  • Spanish activity books
  • Videos, CDs, a lot of music
  • A timer to keep the activities short (The stove timer)
  • The best climbers ever (Our coughs)
  • Tommy's best cheerleader and worse nightmare —Francis
  • Our families support and
  • A lot of LOVE.
I see toys so valuable as tools. We have a  good variety of toys because If one toy doesn't work, I can get another one, quick, to keeps Tommy's interest. If one activity doesn't work, I can switch to other activity or add a novelty to the activity. Anything in Mommy's lab can be transformed and being used for a fun and educational time.


Best Jumping Platform (Our coffee table)

Best Climber toy ever (Our couches)
I learned to get a better use of our furniture with 
Tommy's former therapists. I miss them a lot!

I have learned to read Tommy's body language when he needs sensory input. As his advocate, I have decided to educate people around him, so we all can help him to overcome his sensory issues. So I have done a sensory evaluation according to my observations. The book The Child with Special Needs has a guide on how parents can do their own individualized sensory evaluation. This evaluation helps to find toys and activities according to the child sensory needs. This evaluation is designed to follow the child's lead on what they want to do during play time.  I have written down my evaluation that I will share with our relatives. In Mommy's lab, there are a lot of studies and experiments about Tommy's development!
Batting a ball attached to the ceiling was one of the
activities I could identify, throughout my evaluation with the
guidance of the book the Child with Special Needs.
This activity has been a complete success with Tommy!

The blanket activity is another Tommy's favorite activity. 
He giggles every time we playfully smash him. 
This activity also applies for kids with sensory disfunction and it is away
caregiver shows affection to the child. 


I found a wonderful idea on how keep, in one place, all activities and games Tommy enjoys; as well as, the activities and games I have identify according to his sensory needs. Therefore, everybody involved in Tommy's care can have access to them and have a fun day with him. This will make easier keeping him busy, redirecting the stimuli behaviors and mommy's lab will be up and running while I am not there.
This is the activity & Game Jar I have create as
part of Tommy's recovering plan for Sensory Processing Disorder.
I took this idea from the summer activity jars in thecraftingchicks.com.
 I will use our during all year seasons. 

I feel the need to enjoy what I do for my son to keep going. So beign creative is part of who I am. I have incorporated a touch of my personality to my work with my son, knowing I am doing the best I can, and beyond, to help Tommy achieve his true potential. It hasn't been easy accepting and recognizing skills Tommy has lost —I can tell some of them are there, but he will use them again when he is ready. Meanwhile, I have to find ways to work with him that are fun while creating memories, and here is when everything in 'Mommy's lab' comes alive as magic. And some how, I become a child again!

_______
Special Thank you
My husband's family helped us to organize the house, which saved me a lot of time in organizing mommy's lab. I am grateful with my husband's family to support us in many ways. This is very important to me because I don't have my family close to me. I am grateful because they accepted me since the first day I met them.




No comments: