Sunday, January 12, 2014

There is a window to pull kids out of Autism

"There is a window to pull kids out of Autism," this is something Jenny McCarthy says in her book "Lauder than Words." I honestly think it is true, but that window it is narrower for kids with dual diagnosis, Down Syndrome and Autism. I am not an expert, but I have got in to the conclusion:

1. Low muscle tone is one of main factor that make a child with Down syndrome or any child with hypotonia to be at a higher risk for Autism. Because they don't feel their bodies properly. Low muscle tone is also seen in kids with just the Autism diagnosis. Scientist have discovered that when a child with Autism has sever hypotonia this also influence in the child having a sever Autism diagnosis.

2. Autism characteristics tend to be ignored because they are considered to be 'autistic-like' in a child with Down syndrome.  If a child with Down syndrome is autistic-like with lack of social skills, they child is a great risk to develop Autism because his or her sensory system is not working properly and environmental factors can make his or her sensory system shot down!


3. There are not scientist research dedicated to kids with a dual diagnosis, Autism and Down Syndrome. So there are not specific interventions to address the needs of kids with dual diagnosis. Even  my son was born with Down syndrome, we are doing individualized interventions that address his individual needs while targeting Autism and they are working for him. 

4. An effective way to get a child out of their inner self is through communication. Communication is an area where kids with Down syndrome struggle. Unfortunately, parents don't get trained in this area. I am educating my self and putting in practice what I am learning. I can report that Tommy keeps trying to communicate and we are seeing more and more Tommy's efforts to communicate and use language.  Tommy was eating his breakfast this morning, I walked to the kitchen while passing by close to him and he said cereal. It was very quiet! So It turned bak and look at him. I said: I heard something. He look at me and said: "Cereal" louder and with a smile. Oh, you want more cereal. There is hope! if the right methods are incorporated. 

5. There are biochemical similarities between Autism and Down syndrome. When Tommy got diagnosed with Autism, the doctor told me:"Autism and Down syndrome are the same." I didn't like it at all. But After my extensive investigation, I have concluded that there are similarities and they way to treat them are almost the same. I have watched kids with Autism and Down syndrome (considered a sever case of Down syndrome without the diagnose of Autism). They make the same noises, the same stemming behaviors, the same slow motions. I have concluded Autism and Down syndrome are labels, with the same root of the problem, which is bio-chemical unbalance in the brain, which the difference that Down syndrome is completely genetic, while Autism still remains unknown. In both diagnosis, leaky gut syndrome or gut issues has been reported.

6. The child environment should be modified and parents should be the lead in the intervention. When the child is more responsive and out of isolation traditional therapy methods should be introduced if they are needed. Unfortunately, parents get bombarded with OT, PT, SP, ABA, etc. But this just add more stress and anxiety to the child and the family, which leave less time to build a strong bond between them. Stress should be avoid to the maximum extend possible for a child with Autism. We have quit all private paid services. We have established a home-based intervention since the summer. When I told my husband of my idea of quitting traditional therapy, he was a little skeptical, but he support me. Today, we see Tommy more responsive, happier, doing better at school and willing to communicate. We have decrease the stress factors for him.

To all parents out there, there is a window for our kids with a dual-diagnosis. It won't be easy to open it for them, but it can be possible. An organization I recommend is Downsyndromeoptions.org

THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!

No comments: