Thursday, March 6, 2014

I am seeing the light at the end of the tunnel.

When we got Tommy's Autism diagnosis, I felt that all the doors of hope were shot for him. Autism itself is a big puzzle that the experts have not been able to put it together yet. But because he has Down syndrome, the puzzle gets even harder. But I have gotten armed with courage, as always, and I have decided to fight back against Autism as lionesses defending her cub.

After educating myself about Autism and observing Tommy's development, I realized the best person to be in charge of his intervention was me. In December 2013, I made a drastic change in how we were facing his challenges. I decided to take the lead in my son's intervention by becoming his full time therapist with the support of my husband. I made this decision when I observed him struggling (withdrawing) to work with a new therapist because his current therapist, at that time, moved out to another state. At that moment, I understood that he was needing a well established relationship between him and his therapist to work in his challenges, a trusting relationship that he just has with mommy and daddy. Previous of making my decision, I contacted a staff member of Sensory Enrichment Therapy, MendAbility, who explained to me about how the therapy works and that it is based on neuroscience to balance neurotransmitters in the brain. I knew right away it was the perfect fit for us because I was looking for a therapy I could do from home and we currently were working on balancing neurotransmitters through nutrition. Looking for more information on how to establish a therapy that would suit Tommy's need by me as his therapist , I found out about the Spectacular Bond approach in the December 2013. This is an approach by experts that encourage parents taking the lead in the Autism treatment and intervention. This was  the last piece of information I was needing to go ahead and take the lead in my son's intervention.

I am not an expert, but I am providing all the therapeutic services for my son with the guidance of Linda Kane, a well-known neurodevelopmentalist from ICAN. This program is addressing all the challenges in my son's overall development. While MendAbility, Sensory enrichment therapy, is addressing all his sensory needs by targeting my son's brain. This therapy is done with the guidance of the internationally recognized Neurosciencist, Claudie Gordon-Pomares. This is the same intervention that Jenny McCarthy talks in her book Lauder than words. In two and half months of being in charge of Tommy's intervention, my husband and I are observing things that Tommy used to do coming back. Even when consistency is not always the case in my intervention, we are experiencing a positive change in him, and it feels good. We are doing it as a family and Tommy is progressing faster and he is a lot happier, which is contagious seeing him so happy. Today, I am seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.


His beautiful smile is coming back to
show up in his pictures, rather than
a sad face with a lost look and unawareness.

He is currently working on the free style swimming. 
Enjoy the video of Tommy practicing free style.
I promise a better video next time.

He has learned to float in the water.
You can see it on the video. I will
get a longer and better video next time.

Video of Tommy doing an alphabet puzzle with the iPad.
By the way, he knows all the alphabet, capital and lower case letters.

Video of Tommy working on tracing with the iPad.

THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!

No comments: