Sunday, March 23, 2014

Tommy's isolation and withdraw from this world (Part 2)

I explained in my previous post how we are doing to help Tommy to get out of isolation. Basically, we are targeting his anxiety. To reduce his anxiety, I am also analyzing Tommy's behaviors during specific situations where he struggles or shows behaviors that need to be addressed:
  • Visiting the playground. While Tommy was completely immerse in his world, the playground didn't make much sense for him. He preferred to be under the structure, far away from the kids and everybody. We were doing Occupational therapy around those times and they recommended the "swings"for Tommy because it would help with his vestibular system and strengthening his cord muscles. The swings were the only area in the playground Tommy could enjoy, so get him out of the swings was a problem because he had meltdowns because of transitioning issues. So when I took him to the park, I put him on the swings almost when we were leaving, because in this way, he could get around the entire playground and get those muscles working. But it still was a problem getting him out of the swing even when I tried that he anticipated what was coming next and he was not getting much around the playground either. Then, I searched for parks around our area that Tommy would enjoyed. I finally found one that he was comfortable exploring and there were just a few people every-time we were there. I began to observe other kids and I realized kids don't use the swing quite often and just for very short period of times. So instead being something good for him, I realized it was the opposite. Why? "swinging" was becoming a self-stimulatory behavior. So we are AVOIDING THE SWINGS at the playground. Now, Tommy is playing non-stop at the playground, running, climbing, laughing, and he is ready to go home, NO MELTDOWNS! The swing is the most sedentary equipment at a playground, I believe they are not the right feed for my child who has low muscle tone and sensory issues that make him to be unresponsive to sensory inputs. I am not an expert, but I am the expert of my son. I do believe when Tommy's former OT used the swing with him, it had its benefit to strength his cord muscles and his vestibular system.  But we didn't suspect that this could become a self-stimulatory behavior. 

Tommy used to play hide and sick. This was one of his favorite games when my sister came to visit us in 2010, but he also lost this play skill to get immerse in his own world.  Friday morning, he suddenly joined Francis and I to play hide and sick while I was doing the dishes. Yesterday morning, I was doing the dishes again, and he saw me and with a glance to my eyes he could anticipate that I would hide behind the sink. So he came to the counter and flowed my lead. This means a lot for a child with Autism because they struggle to understand gestures or non-verbal communication. I have been doing a DIR Floortime approach to get Tommy understands gestures. Watch the video below taken yesterday morning. Tommy is engaging in "people play" with me. It is becoming more and more part of the norm that he is engaging with his environment/people. He is starting to enjoy people; therefore, he is starting to like to be around people.


I will keep going with my action plan because it is showing proven results. I am so please with the Neurodevelopmental Program and MendAbility. They, both combined, are getting quick results that I was not expecting so soon. I am not an expert, but I am the expert of my son and this has brought me to accommodate the right approaches that are helping him to heal.

THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!

No comments: