Friday, April 11, 2014

Breaking News: Mitochondrial Dysfunction as a Neurobiological Subtype of Autism

Since Tommy began to regress in his development, I knew there was an answer for this. Even when I called to the hospital looking for an answer and they didn't have it. I knew it was because they didn't know and not because there was not an answer. I haven't stopped to look for that answer and last year, I found the first lead into Mitochondrial Dysfunction as the possible cause of my son's regression and the link to the cause of his Autism diagnosis. Today, I have the evidence to get the right treatment for my son. 

There are strong scientific evidences that are pointing to Mitochondrial Dysfunction as a Neurobiological Subtype of Autism Spectrum Disorder. Just 2 days ago, a research study from Columbia University just published in the journal JAMA Psychiatry showed mitochondrial dysfunction directly in the brain in children and adults with autism. The best approach to target this deficit is MitoSpectra. Click here to read the study.

Dr. Suzanne Goh is a pediatric neurologist and scientist who is one of the pioneers in treating mitochondria dysfunction in kids with Autism. Here is a link where she explains mitochondria dysfunction in kids with Autism: http://www.gohmd.org/video-gallery.html

My son's mitochondria dysfunction is due to his genetic disorder. Unfortunately, doctors do not target mitochondria dysfunction in kids with Down syndrome from birth, even when is well known that they have a high risk for this. The fact that they all have low muscle tone is a strong evidence for looking into mitochondria dysfunction to improve their quality of life. As I have said before, I won't stop until my son's gets the right treatment. I will keep my promise to all kids with Down syndrome and Autism to spread the word about mitochondria dysfunction.
.
THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!



1 comment:

JB said...

My son is 5, regressive autism, and had echolalia speech 10 months ago. He is very little, size of a 2-3 year old. Anyways, 3 days on mitospectra speech came back and a week later spontaneous speech with one word. 3 weeks later spontaneous speech is beginning with 2 words such as 'go pee' and 'more chip' Tried over 50 different treatments. This is by far the best ever.