Wednesday, March 23, 2011

My independent boy! (Part 2)

On November 7, 2010,  I saw Tommy for the first time taking the the fork to serve his food in his cup. He put the ham and pieces of bread in the cup and pretend to mix them. This made me think he was trying to serve his own breakfast. But with all the craziness of him being sick in the last couple of months, I completely forgot about it. 


Photo taken on November 7, 2010

After he came from the hospital and went back to his normal routine he decided to eat cereal again –he used to eat cereal when he was younger, but one day he decided he didn't want it anymore. One day during breakfast, we were ready to eat and he didn't want the Earth's Best Organic cereal I served him. Instead he wanted to eat my cereal. So I gave him a big bowl and helped him to serve the Honey Cheerio cereal and pour the milk.  He ate one bowl of cereal and more! It was clear to me he wanted to do it just like mommy and daddy, which made me realized it was time to transfered tommy's pouring skills from the bathtub to the kitchen table.


A couple of weeks ago, I made some accommodations so he can serve his cereal with help.  He uses a little measure cup to serve his cereal and I got a little transparent measure cup he can use as a pitcher to pour the milk on his cereal. Sometimes, our improvise pitcher works as a cup for him, too. He still has spellings, but we have a lot of fun. If I wouldn't be observant I wouldn't realize when Tommy wants to experience things on his own because he struggles with his expressive communication. But regardless his challenges, nothing stops his independient personality and nothing stops me to try to understand him beyond his language delay.




By the way, Tommy is wearing two t-shirts in the video
because he put the green shirt on top of the other by himself.
I didn't want to discourage him after his initiative, so he worn the green shirt until nap time.

I have search for a small pitcher for young children and I have 
found a small glass pitcher for toddlers, but the glass make me nervous. 
Do you know where I can find a pitcher for 
preschoolers that it is plastic and not glass?
The video was taken on Saturday 19th, 2011


Related Articles:
My independent Boy

Pouring -Pre-writing skill (Part 1)

Pouring -Pre-writing skill (Part 2)

No comments: