Sunday, March 20, 2011

Tommy's First IEP

After being nervous that I didn't get well prepare for the first IEP (Individualized Education Program) meeting for my son, because I couldn't attend to workshops. I realized that just knowing about my son's strengths and weaknesses it was enough to be a good advocate for him.

Getting ready for my son's first IEP meeting
Before the meeting, I updated the Tommy's developmental summary about the area of communications. I got information about bilingualism in kids with Trisomy 21 (T21). I talked to other parents who have being gone through the same experience, so it gave me an idea how the meeting would be. I also wrote down the goals I was planning for Tommy and I revised the IEP Checklist app I download on my iPhone a while ago. This app gave me all the sections that will be discussed in the meeting, so I got mentally prepared to advocate in getting exactly what my son was needing. I also pray asking for wisdom and strength because I have heard how the IEP meeting can emotionally affect parents because it could be an overwhelming situation for being a new process and it could be hard to talk about your child's different abilities and share them with people you will see for the first time at a meeting. 

Tommy's First IEP
Tommy's first IEP is going to be a little different because his IEP may have two parts due to he will be re-evaluated in the are of motor. He already had the OT re-evaluation last week and we are waiting for the PT re-valuation.  Meanwhile, Tommy's first IEP section was scheduled on March 2 to discuss about the communication area, the only area he has qualified so far.

I was nervous with the idea Tommy would have two IEP that would be combined when we get the results from the re-evaluations. But it worked out well because the first IEP meeting was focused for about an hour and half, in detail, on Tommy's strengths and weaknesses in the communication area with 6 members of  the school district, a friend of us, my husband and I. Being focused in one area was more beneficial that I could expect. All the services I had in mind to advocate for Tommy where discussed and approved. We got an incredible respond from our school district! Our school district is well known for being family oriented, which not all school district are in this way, this make me feel lucky for choosing the place where we life.

Services that were approved for my son's first IEP:
  • Tommy will be part time early childhood and part time early childhood special education. this means, he will be 2 days in a regular class setting and 2 days in the special need class. Our Special School District is recognized for his inclusion program.
  • Tommy will received Extended Year Services, so he will get services through the summer brake. Otherwise, we would have to use the services of a private paid therapist while he is in summer brake. Tommy got Extended Year Services due to his lost of skills during his hospitalization. I knew this was an important point to talk at the meeting, so I talked about it as soon as I had the opportunity, so when we got to section of Extended Year Services, they said yes, without me saying a word. 
  • Tommy will get services for articulation therapy, including oral motor excises to decrease the tongue trusting. He will also get services for expressive and receptive language development and increasing his vocabulary. 
  • Tommy will get Spanish during his regular class. The speech therapist and his teacher will work together to incorporate Spanish words in the class. I will support them in any doubt or question they may have about Spanish. My husband and I will also donate Spanish materials to Tommy's class. He is the first child with T21 in our Special School District being raised bilingual. Members of the School District are very enthusiastic on helping Tommy with his Spanish. I gave a copy of bilingualism researches in kids with T21 to our school district, so they know why bilingualism is important for my son. Tommy will start a extracurricular Spanish class during fall, but I hope by them he completely quit his nap because the class is in the afternoon.
My husband and I are very grateful on how everything has been coordinated to meet our son needs in our Special School District. We are thankful for all the services he is getting because we know they will tremendously help him. We will do everything in our end to help him to achieve his annual IEP goals.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Rosa Maria!
Congratulations on being so prepared and getting through Tommy's first IEP. I think Tommy is doing so well that perhaps he may not find the early childhood special education challenging enough for those two days? But it is a wonderful first step!!!
You're right in stating that you know Tommy's strengths and needs, and to make sure that those are addressed is so very important. Good for you!!!

Also, Happy World Down Syndrome Day!!!♥

Rosa said...

Lianna,

Thank you for your comment. Being partially in the special education class will give more time and opportunity to the staff discover Tommy's potential because they can focused on him more than when he is in the regular class. When they know him very well, I know he will eventually full included in a regular class setting. Our school district tries its best to graduate the kids in the SpecialEd class before kindergarden, so they can full included when they get to Kindergarten, but it depends on every child. We are so THRILLED, Tommy is in preschool!