Monday, July 23, 2012

Brotherly Love


When I was little, I refereed to my sister as 'hermanita' (Little sister). Today, I still call her "hermanita," I use the word 'hermanita' as part of keeping the memories of our childhood. She always was protecting me from the monsters in my nightmares or throwing rocks at me because I did something to her. We were not lovely girls to the time we got mad at each other. All these experiences made our relationship stronger. Even, we are 3 years apart, today, my sister knows she can count on me for absolutely everything. I know I can unconditionally count on her. This is exactly what I wish for my boys!


I am just happy that Tommy feels jealousy because of Francis, it is how it should be. Not much different from how it was with my sister  when I was born. My sister jealousy didn't stop until we became teenagers. I am happy that Tommy and Francis have their fights—we are working on be nice and gentle, but boys are rough, so they will get it one day. I am happy watching them playing together because, more than brothers, they are playmates. I am happy watching Francis imitating everything that his big brother does because it is how it should be. Tommy loves to jump in the trampoline and while he jumps he says "salta', "salta." Guest what! Francis climb to the trampoline and pretend he jumps while saying "salta", "salta." 


As a mom, I care about how my kids feel and how they are building the base of their relationship. So I try to do everything equal for Tommy and Francis. I cannot love one more than the other because they both are part of me. I don't treat Tommy with privileges just because he has T21. I don't treat Francis with privileges because he is the baby. The way I see it, it is that they are little individuals that deserve being treated with respect and dignity regardless their ages or developmental challanges. If they are treated with respect and dignity, they will learn to  treat people with respect and dignity.


I show them my unconditional love. My moms made us understand that she would never love one more than the other. It is my turn, now, to help Tommy to cope with the jealousy feeling regardless his communication barriers. I know in their own individual way, they care about each other. The other day, Tommy was in the master room and he heard Francis crying. Tommy got down the bed while saying 'baby' and ran to Francis' room to check on his little brother. Between them there are not differences. They are just brothers!


____________
take a look at Kelle Hampton's daughters. Her pictures talk by them-self, Trisomy 21 doesn't exchange the love among siblings. Click HERE!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

PRECIOUS!!