Thursday, October 10, 2013

Tommy's handwriting keeps improving

Today, I was very surprised with Tommy's handwriting skills. Specially, because he lost many fine motor skills that he gained during the early intervention program. His progress in the area of fine motor was very little in the past 2 and half years. It was hard to see how he was regressing, rather than progressing as other kids with the same genetic disorder. We had have to rework on many skills Tommy completely mastered during the early intervention program because these skills were gone.

Until this year, I saw improvement in his attention span that I knew he was ready to rework on fine motor skills. So I put everybody on the same page (school, private paid services and our in-home intervention). I have been working on strengthening his fine muscle through the neuro-developmental program, but we haven't gotten into writing yet. Once in a while, I use the apps Letter School or Injini to work on letter formation, but I am not consistent. But School is doing a great job with his fine motor skills. I am more focused on his neuro-developmental program, which I think it was the missing piece in our in-home intervention. Two weeks after starting this program, Tommy began to show a big progress that I marked it in the calendar (June 16, 2013) and many skills are starting to come back quicker and new skills are starting to emerge. Getting the right support has been crucial in the progress of my kindergartner.

He didn't follow the direction of writing the sentence,
but it is so cute how he writes his name.
This proof what his private paid OT commented to me,
he understands the letters formation, but he struggles due to his
hypotonia (low muscle tone).

Tommy's tracing is in orange
(I think that the handwriting in purple is from his paraprofessional)


Even Francis has joined us to get
Tommy's upper body stronger to improve fine motor skills.
This was just free play between them, but this is a type of activity that I will keep
encouraging between them because it is activity that has been recommended by 
Tommy's private paid services, and previously, during the Early Intervention Program. 
They just know that it is fun, but not that they are working on strengthening Tommy's muscles.





No comments: