Tuesday, October 28, 2014

My Great Story Video Project: Great Expectations (Chris Burke)


Who doesn't know Chris Burke from the TV show
"LIFE GOES ON."

He is a true story of what high expectations can do for a
person born with a genetic disorder. He said it in the video:
"I want everyone to know, it is about having
goals and dreams."

He couldn't say it better. When I got the prenatally diagnosed
I kept those dreams for my son regardless the diagnosis.
My dreams back them were:
He will one day become bilingual, he will attend to college and he will find his other half.
A few weeks ago someone asked me what are my goals and dreams for Tommy. I answered:
My goal is that he become independent and my dreams that he attend to college and he can find his other half. 

He is already bilingual. Loves to watch Plaza Sésamo (Sesamo Street in Spanish). Yesterday, we were pretending that the stuff animals where talking to Tommy. So the tiger asked him: Como estás? Tommy answered: MUY BIEN! (Perfect Spanish accent). 

Those goals have not changed and won't change.
For many people this may not be realistic
because he has DS and Autism. I cannot diny that he has these labels because I live it 24/7, 365 days all year around and every year that will come. But I am the one who lives with him, so I am the one who expereince and witness many things that the rest of the world doesn't.
The other day we were reading a book about fall. 
The book has questions at the end. So I asked:
What does come after fall?
Tommy answered:
WINTER.

THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!

No comments: