Friday, November 14, 2014

Can kids with Down beat standardized tests?

Back in May, I posted "Unlocking the true potential of Kids with T21" where I showed Professor Michael Leon's conference where he explained how challenges due to neurological disorders and genetic disorders –including Down syndrome– can be reversed or very much emulated by a sensory enrichment environment. Scientist has known this forever, but there is not enough effort put it into developing proper interventions for our kids. Howsoever, the love for our kids has brought moms, like me, to dig into scientist research and now things that seemed impossible 30 years ago are becoming the norm for some kids with Down syndrome, whose parents have discovered that there is a better way to treat our kids. 

Can kids with Down beat standardized tests? 
Yes! It can be possible. I want to share Jett's story. Jett was born with Down syndrome. He faced heart surgery. He used to also have autistic behaviors. Howsoever, his family decided they will fight for Jett and today, Jett is a 4 year old who is changing the way people think about people with Down syndrome. Jett's mom is an amazing person. She was the first one who give me support to keep going in my journey with Tommy's Autism diagnosis. Here is what Jett's moms have to share:


"We had his parent/teacher meeting tonight and she said that all the kids love Jett and she has to tell them that he only has two sides so only two kids and play with him at a time. (She even told me that the mom before us had just said that her son talks about Jett all the time!) She also had the results from the standardized test called the... Peabody?? Anyway, when the range was like 4-11, he got scores like 26! 

She said she'd never had a kid as advanced as Jett and wanted to know how to best challenge him and keep him interested.


I volunteer in her class from time to time to work with the kids that need it and she said she's learned a lot from me. She went on to say that if/when I started a school, she would love to work there!


She wondered if Jett would benefit much from kindergarten since there's not much time to play (!?!) and it's a lot of sitting with instruction about things that he already knows.
Well, I guess I'd better get my school going then!


This is not the first time that I have heard about this. It is possible that some kids with Down syndrome reach normal IQ. I has known about a non-verbal girl with Down syndrome who IQ is 100. I also knew about a young man who graduated from college and got a regular job as any other young man of his age. This would never be considered as possible 30 years ago. But the parents who has the courage to think out of the box and brake paradigms in these harsh society are making a huge difference in the quality of life of their children's with Down syndrome. 

THE SKY IS THE LIMIT!

No comments: