Friday, November 21, 2014

Rescuing my son: Finding our way to recovery

Almost 4 years ago, I declared the war to Autism and I began to fight back in the Chromosomal War. Literally, it is a war! According to DesabilityScoop.com, Autism Moms Have Stress Similar To Combat Soldiers. The article said what we moms of a child with Autism don't talk much:
Mothers of those with autism reported spending at least two hours more each day care-giving than mothers of children without disabilities. On any given day these moms were also twice as likely to be tired and three times as likely to have experienced a stressful event...

Despite all of this, mothers of an individual with autism were just as likely to have positive experiences each day, volunteer or support their peers as those whose children have no developmental disability, researchers found.
The levels of stress we have to deal is beyond us, but we moms are strong warriors because it is how God made us. The love for our kids makes us keep going because we know something can be done to help them and nobody else is going to get it done. I realized it when I call to the hospital to tell them that Tommy was regressing and they didn't offer any help. 

I discovered the missing piece in the puzzle of what happened to Tommy back in December, 2013. It is frustrated that it is almost a year that I discovered it and  I haven't been able to get Tommy tested for Mitochondrial dysfunction yet. What it is most frustrating is that the doctor in charge of our Local Down syndrome clinic specializes in mitochondrial dysfunction and her office was the first place I called. Doctors are forgetting the relationship between doctor/patient because health care has became a very lucrative business. 

I am so happy that I have found an ally in my chromosomal war, Dr. Sultan. He is making a huge difference in how to fight back Autism. It feels good having an ally! Dr. Sultan is looking into testing Tommy for mitochondrial dysfunction through Genova lab, this lab specializes in looking for answers when nobody else can. So I am praying, this will work because we wouldn't have to travel. Dr. Sultan's treatment plan for Tommy is formulated for his whole-body health. His treatment will also targets toxicity in the environment, and this is crucial to restore the mitochondria; somehow, we are helping Tommy with his mitochondrial dysfuntion. 

I just remember when I posted that I found Dr. Sultan. I had the strong feeling that he would make me work and would do things more challenging for the benefit of my son. Howsoever, I don't complain about it, he is the doctor any patient should have. He truly cares about Tommy's health, so I just do whatever he says because he has earned my trust, which is what an ally does.

The new recommendation of Doctor Sultan is a free-chemical house. I have to read a handout of 78 pages and a book, so we can flip the entire house for a less polluted indoor air. So the list of things we have to get out of the house is huge, so I am starting first for the kitchen, and then, other common areas in the house. We will have to get every harmful chemical out of the house, we will have to get 100% cotton clothing, we will have to stop using plastic, we will have to get safe cookware and so on. Because: 


IF YOU CAN NOT EAT IT, YOU CAN'T BREATH IT!    
This statement from the Dr. Sultan completely
opened my eyes on how toxic our house is.

I already got some cleaning products out of the house. They have being replaced by vinegar, salt, baking soda and olive oil, which will help us to save a lot of money. I cleaned yesterday with vinegar. I was happy with the results because there is not a difference on cleaning with vinegar than cleaning with cleaning products. 

I have two options on my chromosomal war, to fight or surrender. I will never surrender because I know how to win this war. I know we are in our way to recovery. God is putting the knowledge in front of me and the allies. I know he listens to my prayers, so he will also provide the sources to get everything done.

THE SKY IS THE LIMIT! 

No comments: