Thursday, August 26, 2010

Pouring -Pre-writing skill (Part 1)

Pouring seems to be a very simple activity, but for kids with low muscle tone means their pathway to handwriting because it helps to develop eye-hand coordination. Handwriting is an essential skill to learn in the early school years.

Pouring water is a fun activity for Tommy thanks to the measure cups my mother-in-law gave to him for his first Christmas. The best time to incorporate this activity in the daily routine is during bath time, specially, for full time working moms like me. The best age to introduce this activity to the child is when he or she is still a baby around 10-12 months. I used to just throw the measure cups in the bathtub and let my son to explored them. Later, I started demonstrating him how to scoop with the cups without making him to do it. I just did it for a few seconds while he observed me. Eventually, he started to pour by himself.

Tommy is currently working on pouring from one cup to the other and he is having so much fun because he laughs when he spills the water. I don't expect him to be able to pour the water from one cup to the other one because this is an activity for 3-year old kids, but he is an age appropriate to introduce the concept. Meanwhile, we are just having fun!

Tommy's toys for pre-writing skills
  • Measure Up!® Cups by Discovery Toys: We use this set of cups to scoop, dump, fill, nest, stack, sort, count and introduce concepts related to color, size and volume. This cups can also be used as play-dough stampers.
  • Fish Cup: I got this cup in Babies' R Us and it is an inexpensive cup, but it multiplies his value for the hours of fun that my son has by playing with his fishy cup.
  • Sand & Water Mill: I got this toy at target for just $1.oo. This an excellent price, but it also multiples his value because my son's eye hand coordination is getting better and better after he plays with this toy.
Tommy began to pour
(1-year old)


Tommy pours in a more complex way
(2-year old)

No comments: